The owner of a house at 317 Locust St. awoke shortly before 3:48 a.m. Saturday when his smoke detector went off. Great Bend Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the man, Jesus Hernandez, went to the back bedroom where the smoke detector was located and found light smoke in the bedroom. He also saw the electrical outlet was charred and burning and had caused the bedding next to the outlet to smolder.
Barton Community College Trustees voted 3-2 Monday to change the campus-wide "no-alcohol" policy. Policy 1220 allows the BCC Foundation, or its designee, to serve beer or wine in the Shafer Gallery at special events.
Rebecca Sedwick, 12, took her life last month after relentless bullying from as many as 15 other girls over three years. Her mom tried to put a stop to the bullying, even moving Rebecca to another school, but her tormenters followed her on social media, where the bullying continued.
Amnesty Day is this year's Halloween treat at the Great Bend Public Library. The library will waive the fines for overdue books and other items returned on Oct. 31, according to Jennifer King, marketing director and Young Adult librarian. No questions asked.
The two-story brick building at the heart of Faith Community Church compound was originally built for the county poor farm. Blueprints dated Oct. 15, 1929, show the official name of the structure was the Barton County Home. Mann and Company, Hutchinson, was the architect.