Advanced Therapy and Sports Medicine celebrated National Physical Therapy Month in October by organizing its third annual community food drive. As the Give Back Community Food Drive concluded Thursday, employees at the Great Bend location, 3715 10th St., filled the back of a jeep with non-perishable food items people had donated during the month.
Last week, Senator Pat Roberts joined 29 other Senators in "calling for Attorney General Eric Holder to explain why his Justice Department is suing to force 570 needy children to remain in failing public schools based solely on their skin color."
A nonprofit organization with the motto "Reaching Hurting People, Restoring Families, Realizing Dreams" quietly got underway in Great Bend last August. Now the Central Kansas Dream Center, located at 2100 Broadway Ave., will host some guests from Phoenix, Ariz., to train local program leaders and help others better understand the vision for central Kansas.
There's a new community service group in town – one that hopes to do magic. Melanie Calcara, one of the founders of Prairie Godmothers, said this group of "women helping women" hopes to provide funds for critical short-term needs not met by other community resources.
The public can catch a glimpse of heaven and hell in this year's Judgement House, which opens Friday at the First Church of the Nazarene, 4811 Broadway. The title for this year's Halloween drama is "Revenge! When Rage Takes Control."
On a Kansas map, the service regions for the state's 19 community colleges are pretty straightforward. But Barton Community College's reach extends well beyond the official area of Barton, Ellsworth, Pawnee, Rice, Rush, Russell and Stafford counties. These days, Barton instructors can be found at Grandview Plaza in Geary County, Fort Riley and now Fort Leavenworth.
The owner of a house at 317 Locust St. awoke shortly before 3:48 a.m. Saturday when his smoke detector went off. Great Bend Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the man, Jesus Hernandez, went to the back bedroom where the smoke detector was located and found light smoke in the bedroom. He also saw the electrical outlet was charred and burning and had caused the bedding next to the outlet to smolder.
Barton Community College Trustees voted 3-2 Monday to change the campus-wide "no-alcohol" policy. Policy 1220 allows the BCC Foundation, or its designee, to serve beer or wine in the Shafer Gallery at special events.