WASHINGTON (AP) - Roger Clemens stood and uttered "Morning" to the 90 potential jurors who had gathered in the ornate, sixth-floor ceremonial courtroom, the one deemed big enough to hold them all. After he sat down, he swiveled his chair, as if trying to make eye contact with as many as possible.
CLAFLIN - Kurt Herbert Fuhr, 92, joined his Maker and others in Heaven on Holy Saturday, April 7. He was the last born to Fredrick and Hattie Fuhr in Bromburg, Poland on Sept. 11, 1919. He grew up in Claflin and attended Great Bend High School. In 1961, he was baptized in the Methodist faith. He was a lifeguard and Eagle Scout. He was married to Eledra Mae Fuhr on April 9, 1943 until her death on March 12, 1984. He was married to Beverly Kay Fuhr on Sept. 14, 1987 until her death on Aug. 18, 2010.
ELLSWORTH - Ray Alvin Rolfs, 45, died April 15 at Salina Regional Medical Center. Born July 10, 1966 in Ellsworth, he was the son of Alvin D. and Johnetta G. Kaiser Rolfs. Formerly of Great Bend, he was a resident of Mosaic in Ellsworth. He attended schools in Geneseo and Lyons. He loved playing basketball and running track for Special Olympics.
Barton County Extension Agent Donna Krug will present "Cash in with Coupons" from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Great Bend Activity Center, 2715 18th St., and again at 1 p.m. Friday at the Senior Center, 2005 Kansas Ave.
Barton Community College Dean Mark Dean will present bids for two parking lots when the BCC Board of Trustees meets at 4 p.m. Thursday in the Fine Art Building's Seminar Room, F-30, on the Barton County campus. Bids were taken to repave the southwest Physical Education parking lot and the Administration Building parking lot.
The Great Bend Police Department is investigating a report of an aggravated battery and aggravated robbery in the 300 block of Maple St. At 12:05 p.m. Friday, a man reported two males hit him with a metal object and stole his cell phone and wallet.
Great Bend Fire Department was dispatched to the Highland Hotel at 9:08 p.m. Friday, after a carbon monoxide alarm sounded in the kitchen area. Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the source of the CO was a gas-fired power washer being used in the pool area.