Zeta Gamma Chapter of Epsilon Sigma Alpha met for a special dinner at the Elks Lodge in Great Bend on Feb. 25 to honor the chapter's Outstanding Sister for the year, Jeanette Shirer. She was presented with a gift and an Outstanding Sister charm. Jeanette fIrst joined Alpha Tau Chapter in Hoisington in 1952. She went inactive for a period of time to raise her children and to help her husband with his work. A couple of her former Alpha Tau sisters from Hoisington had joined Zeta Gamma in Great Bend and encouraged her to become active. She has ...
ElderCare has entered the first phase of Kansas Medicaid reform by implementing the KS AuthentiCare program.
On March 2, the Great Bend Middle School bands held an In House Band Contest at GBMS. The guest judge/clinician was Bill Clausing from St. John. The 7th grade band received an Advanced Performance rating and the 8th Grade Band received a I+ rating. The bands are under the direction of Kurtis Koch assisted by Mark DeWald.
Last week's column asserted that soil is the foundation of our agricultural industry and a scarce resource. This week let's start to examine why. First, 70% of the surface of the earth is covered with water. Of the remaining 30%, only 11% is considered arable, suitable for farming, or approximately 3.3% of the total of the earth's surface. Of that total, well over half has been degraded to some extent. Often that degradation is due to soil erosion (loss of the soil) by air or water. Why is that a big deal? A large part of ...
ecently, 14 intrepid travelers returned from an "Expeditions Adventure" that encompassed the continents of South America and Antarctica. Starting in Buenos Aires, Argentina and traveling to Ushuaia, the world's southernmost city situated on the Patagonian peninsula overlooking the historic Beagle Channel, the group then boarded the expedition-class cruise ship, M.S. Fram, and cruised across historic Drake's Passage en route Antarctica. For the next seven days they explored both the majestic sea life of minke, killer, and humpback whales, elephant and weddel seals, and indescribably-beautiful icebergs and ice shelves; along with many diverse areas of the "seventh continent ...
CLASS 6-1A STATE BASKETBALL
MANHATTAN - It came down to the wire in the Class 2A state tournament girls' third-place basketball game at Bramlage Coliseum on Saturday.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - It seemed as if everybody was rooting against Missouri, the school that nearly brought the Big 12 to ruin, and you can be sure coach Frank Haith and the rest of the Tigers heard them.
Camp Pawnee benefit Sunday
ROZEL - The National Honor Society at Pawnee Heights will perform the musical, "45 Minutes from Broadway," Thursday at the high school.
Thursday, March 8
I'm starting to feel bad for President Obama, if you want to know the truth.
Race is one of those subjects that never seems to simmer down.
WASHINGTON – Oil prices continued to collapse Monday and are getting closer to levels that could dampen the U.S. energy boom.