A large metal shed sits on a trailer in pasture northeast of Great Bend Thursday afternoon. The structure was owned by Dr. Ray Leidich of Great Bend and bought (and relocated) by Jason Causey. Causey said it will be used to house his camper and as "an indoor playground for my kids." The building (which is over 100 feet long and wide) was hauled for about a mile down dirt roads by Kuhn's House Movers out of Victoria.
TOPEKA – After years of controversy and months of public comments, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Thursday announced it has issued the air quality permit for the proposed 895 megawatt coal-fired steam generating unit at the Sunflower Electric Power Corporation near Holcomb.
Hard work has paid off for the schools in Unified School District 428, with all the buildings receiving some recognition by earning statewide academic awards.
It was a topic on the agenda for two area school boards Monday night, a topic very close to the hearts of a handful of parents in both districts.
Great Bend, some parents say, is losing its competitive edge with other school districts by not offering competitive sports at the seventh grade level. This was the message delivered by one of these parents who addressed the Unified School District 428 School Board Monday night.
A federal study released this week indicates more high school seniors nationwide have used marijuana in the past month than have smoked a cigarette, as pot use slid up slightly as tobacco use stagnated. In addition, it showed daily marijuana use up in all grades surveyed.
Investigators from the Kansas State Fire Marshal's Office and the Great Bend Fire Department determined the blaze that destroyed a house southeast of Great Bend Thursday afternoon was likely caused by an electrical problem, Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said Friday morning.
Drug sniffing dogs from the Great Bend Police Department and Barton County Sheriff's Office made two positive "hits" on possible narcotics during a surprise, random search at Great Bend High School Thursday morning, Unified School District Superintendent Tom Vernon said.
There were times all Great Bend Fire Department personnel could do Thursday afternoon was stand back and watch as a house southeast of Great Bend burned. Although everyone had gotten out safely, authorities said the house was a total loss.
Brightly wrapped gifts may not be all we are giving each other this holiday season.
The deaths of a handful of small fish at Veterans Memorial Lake are the result of the cold and not the recent toxic algae that plagued the popular recreational area, city and state officials said.
Several local charities received an early Christmas present Wednesday afternoon as Farmers Bank and Trust held its 14th-annual Holiday Charity Coffee.
It's official. The holidays have come to Great Bend.
Sue Cooper, program officer for the Golden Belt Community Foundation, joined Barton County Administrator Richard Boeckman as part of a strong local contingent that attended a recent conference in Wichita touting the benefits of designing communities with health living in mind.