There were no forests or big game in sight in the halls of Central Kansas Christian Academy Tuesday afternoon, but there was plenty of camouflage to go around.
Editor's note: This is the second story in a series of stories about teen pregnancy. This month, we are talking to the mother of a 15 year old who just recently learned that her daughter is pregnant. We will call her Jane.
"I was not happy about it, but my biggest concern is for her," said Jane (not her real name) about learning her daughter was pregnant. "At 15, she's definitely not ready.
A local entrepreneurial couple were honored by county officials Monday for making an early pay off on a county loan.
While Traditional Home Magazine didn't name Jean Cavavanugh one of its five top award winners in its seventh-annual Best in American Caring and Giving Contest, judges did think highly enough of her to single out her volunteerism to USD 428 students.
Area Boy Scouts from Troop 184 were covered up to their elbows in flour as they learned the craft of making homemade noodles for the annual Boy Scout Chili and Chicken Noodle Soup Dinner from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 5. at the Elks, Lodge, 1120 Kansas Ave.
Registration is now open to those who know they make the best chili and are willing to prove it.
Few people in life follow their dreams. Most give these up as a fantasy when we hear negativity or realize that they are impractical.
The first notes from John Two-Hawks' wooden flute filled the Crest Theater, quieting the large audience. A stand behind him held more flutes of various lengths and woods.
It's about time to satisfy that sweet tooth once again.
There's still time to sign up for the Kansas Wetland Education Center's Feb. 4 winter kid's program, "Feathered Frenzy."
Spending money on signs continues to be a sign of the times for Barton County, according to Road and Bridge Director Dale Phillips.
Barton County officials did not spend all they were asked for in a regional seniors program, but they did pony up for all they'd budgeted this year.
Two Great Bend residents were treated for carbon monoxide exposure Wednesday evening, Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said. Great Bend police officers entered the apartment building at 3900 Forest Ave. around 6 p.m., and they found Brenda Pardee, 60, and Charles Morgan, 55, on the floor.
County officials continue to prepare for the unwanted occurrences they hope will never happen.
Barton County Abstract will continue to perform title searches on properties that are still in the works for the 2012 tax sale with no increase in fees for this year, the Barton County Commission decided this week.