The Kansas Wetlands Education Center has the cure for the winter blues – nature programs! Kids will make a snow crystal, investigate backyard birds and become a sleuth, during KWEC's February Saturday morning programs.
This week's Chamber of Commerce Coffee will be hosted by Barton Community College at the Welding Lab Technical Building, Room 172, at 9:30 a.m., Thursday. Host will be Kevin Sundahl with greeters Mark Mingenback and Brandon Steinert. Coffee, refreshments and door prizes will be available.
ELLSWORTH – At approximately 5:12 p.m. Sunday, a corrections officer at the Ellsworth Correctional Facility was battered by an inmate, according to Adam Pfannenstiel, Kansas Department of Corrections communications director.
The Barton County Local Emergency Planning Committee will meet at 10 a.m. on Jan. 26, at the Barton County Courthouse. The agenda will include a discussion on Severe Weather Awareness Week 2016, election of 2016 Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson, and reports from members.
The Barton County Commission will meet at 9 a.m. Monday at the Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main in Great Bend. The agenda includes information on the Oxford House, appointments to the Health Advisory Board, the bulk mailing of valuation notices and the Local Road Safety Plan.
The best place to satisfy a sweet tooth while helping children have homes where they can grow and thrive is the 11th annual Central Kansas CASA Chocolate Auction. Tickets are on sale now, said Caitlyn Eakin, director of the nonprofit organization.
A monetary donation from Great Bend High School students, added to time donated by the Barton County Young Professionals and other volunteers, means area children may be better prepared when they start school. More than 400 literacy kits from the United Way of Central Kansas have been assembled to hand out at Kindergarten Roundups this spring.
The cause of a fire in a gin pole truck stolen Sunday night from Duke Drilling, 620 Hubbard St., continues to be under investigation, Great Bend Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said Thursday. A mobile home fire earlier that day at 5501 Ninth St. has been ruled accidental.
Kansas Governor Sam Brownback and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment have proclaimed January "Kansas Radon Action Month" to help educate Kansans about the dangers of radon exposure and encourage actions to identify and address radon problems in the home.