View Mobile Site

Fire alarm saves local resident

Morning fire ruled accidental, totals home

POSTED November 13, 2017 4:36 p.m.

A house at 2111 21st Street in Great Bend was a total loss following a fire Monday morning, Fire Chief Luke McCormick said. But, thanks to combination carbon monoxide/smoke detectors installed earlier this year, no one was injured in the blaze.

“We hate to see anyone have a day like today,” McCormick said. But, the detectors offered though a Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office program last spring kept it from being worse.

The owner and sole occupant was Robert Allen. “He said he woke up to the sound of the alarm and got out,” McCormick said.

However, his three pet dogs did not escape.

“It’s good to see this is working and getting these out in the community,” the chief said of the alarms. The Great Bend Fire Department sponsored the program locally.

As for the fire, he said the cause is being ruled accidental. The loss is valued at in excess of $25,000.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 6:08 a.m. and were there until 8:30 a.m. Investigators were on the scene until 1 p.m.

McCormick said an investigator from the KSFM was on site as well.

COMMENTS

  • Bookmark and Share

No comments have been posted. Log in or Register to post a comment.
http://www.gbtribune.com/ encourages readers to interact with one another. We will not edit your comments, but we reserve the right to delete any inappropriate responses. To report offensive or inappropriate comments, contact our editor.

The comments below are from readers of http://beta.gbtribune.com/ and do not necessarily represent the views of The Newspaper or Morris Multimedia.
To post a comment you must be a registered user of www.gbtribune.com.


POST A COMMENT


Please wait ...