Frank and Velma Appl of Norman, Okla., recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary.
Frank and Velma were married June 13, 1959, at Syracuse, which was Mrs. Appl’s hometown. Mr. Appl’s family home was in Great Bend. Frank and Velma met at the Disciples Student Foundation while attending Kansas State University in Manhattan. After receiving their degrees, they moved to Champaign, Ill., where Mr. Appl attended the University of Illinois and completed a Ph.D. in 1964. In 1967, the family moved to Norman, Okla., where he became a professor in the School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Oklahoma. Later, he formed Appl Engineering Company where he served as president until his retirement.
Mr. Appl is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the Norman chapter of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution and served as vice president general of the South Central District of the NNSAR. Mrs. Appl served as regent of the Black Beaver Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and is a member of the Flora Belle Garden Club. They both are active members in the Cleveland County Genealogical Society.