The mercury may peak near 90 degrees, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be in the Christmas spirit, said Great Bend Community Coordinator Christina Hayes. She was talking about the city’s first-ever Christmas in July celebration that runs through Saturday.
The festivities kicked off Monday night with holiday sales in business across town. But, there will be a host of Yuletide activities around the community today.
• “People can shop the participating stores and see their Christmas specials, giveaways and deals,” Hayes said.
• They can also check out Christmas vendors in addition to the usual Thursday evening Summer Street Stroll and Farmers Market from 4-7 p.m. in Jack Kilby Square.
• “Visitors to the Great Bend Brit Spaugh Zoo will see Christmas for the critters as they open fun gifts throughout the day for enrichment,” she said.
• Family Christmas card photos will be taken at Chelsea Mitchell Photography at 1401 Main.
• Participants can tour the Santas Around The World Display from 4-8 p.m. at 1223 Main Street.
• People can see which participating business is awarded the “Favorite Tree” trophy.
Voting for the favorite tree ends Thursday at “Explore Great Bend, KS” on Facebook.
• They can tell Santa their early Christmas wishes during his vacation in Great Bend from the North Pole. He will be present in the square from 4-8 p.m., but wearing shorts.
• They can take in the Great Bend City Band concert and hear Christmas favorites at 8:15 p.m.
• After the concert, they can stick around for the free movie in the square, “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” starting at dusk.
• They can find bargains as Christmas specials will continue in businesses through Saturday.
For more information, contact Hayes at 620-793-4111.