By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cigarette starts grass fire
Placeholder Image

The Great Bend Fire Department was dispatched to a grass fire at 6000 10th St. at  2:55 p.m. Monday.  Chief Mike Napolitano said the fire was burning near a tin shed and had also moved north to the adjacent neighbor’s property.
A small portable cement mixer that was sitting next to the shed was burned.
 In the neighbor’s yard,  the fire warped the siding on the south side of the home and damaged the backyard wood fence.
The property owner at 6000 10th St. stated that he was raking grass and brush and he discarded his cigarette, which started the fire. He attempted to extinguish it but the fire spread quicker than he could handle and so he had to call 911.