By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire alarm saves local resident
Morning fire ruled accidental, totals home
new deh house fire pic web
The Great Bend Fire Department responded to a fire Monday morning that totaled the home at 2111 21st Street. No one was injured in the place, but thrree pet dogs did not escape. - photo by DALE HOGG Great Bend Tribune

A house at 2111 21st Street in Great Bend was a total loss following a fire Monday morning, Fire Chief Luke McCormick said. But, thanks to combination carbon monoxide/smoke detectors installed earlier this year, no one was injured in the blaze.

“We hate to see anyone have a day like today,” McCormick said. But, the detectors offered though a Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office program last spring kept it from being worse.

The owner and sole occupant was Robert Allen. “He said he woke up to the sound of the alarm and got out,” McCormick said.

However, his three pet dogs did not escape.

“It’s good to see this is working and getting these out in the community,” the chief said of the alarms. The Great Bend Fire Department sponsored the program locally.

As for the fire, he said the cause is being ruled accidental. The loss is valued at in excess of $25,000.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 6:08 a.m. and were there until 8:30 a.m. Investigators were on the scene until 1 p.m.

McCormick said an investigator from the KSFM was on site as well.