By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Flooding may impact private water wells
new deh county workfit story barton county logo

Barton County residents who have been affected by the flood waters and have a private well are urged to contact Environmental Manage Judy Goreham for instructions on how to handle the well. 

Goreham offered the following advice:

• If the water wells have been inundated by flood waters they need to be shock chlorinated and tested for bacteria before anyone drinks from them.

• If they are currently inundated (water over them) they should not be running water because they run the risk of pulling the flood waters into their well, etc.

Here is some general information that Kansas Department of Health and Environment puts out whenever water supplies are compromised:

• If tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.

• Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation or use bottled water.

• Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.

• Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.

• Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.

For more information visit

The Environmental Management Department office number is 620-796-4300. Her cell number is 620-792-9905, and the cell number for Environmental Field Technician Mark Cooper is 620-793-0219.