The Quivira Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail Association presents a variety of activities from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 14, at the Little Arkansas Crossing area south of Windom. Visitors will enjoy free activities at and near the Little Arkansas crossing, where the wagons crossed the river on the Santa Fe Trail.
The 200th anniversary of the Santa Fe Trail is being commemorated in 2021. The Quivira Chapter continues to sponsor events related to the Santa Fe Trail through this year. This event is especially great for kids to give them a sense of what life was like during the period that the Santa Fe Trail was active, 1821 – 1880.
The Little Arkansas Rendezvous event include:
10 a.m. -4 p.m. – Visit the sites and enjoy the presentations.
• Swanson’s Swales – Learn about queuing up wagons to cross the Little Arkansas River.
Visitors can have lunch along the Santa Fe Trail. Food will be available for purchase from the Doris J Green Chile Company located at Swanson’s Swales.
1-2 p.m. - Free ice cream courtesy of the Quivira Chapter. Ice cream available until it runs out.
• Camp Grierson - Life on the Trail as a Buffalo Soldier. The Wichita Buffalo Soldiers will set up camp at Camp Grierson, also known as Station Little Arkansas. The unit concentrates on historically correct encampments which are used to educate the public about buffalo soldiers.
These buffalo soldiers represent the U.S. 10th Cavalry, Company A, as they would have appeared in the post-Civil War era. They wear authentic uniforms and use genuine McClellan saddles and tack.
• Fry Ruts – Experience Native American life along the Trail. The Wichita Inter-Tribal Warrior Society will have a Native American encampment at the Fry Ruts with teepees to provide a view of Native American life along the Santa Fe Trail. Wichita Inter-Tribal Warrior Society works to promote and keep the culture of the Native Americans.
Noon– 3 p.m. - Wagon Rides- Country Boys Carriage will be on hand with their wagon and team to give free wagon rides at the Fry Ruts.
• Hike to the Little Arkansas Crossing. See the area where the wagons crossed the river. Learn about the Stone Corral.
Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and enjoy all the activities. Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.
This event is free and open to the public and all events are sponsored by the Quivira Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail Association.
The events are near Rice County Avenue P and Plum Street/31st Avenue, which is the McPherson -Rice county line.
• On U.S. 56, Plum Street/31st Avenue is approximately one mile west of Windom.
The turn from 56 will be marked. Turn south on Plum/31st Avenue. Follow the signs south on Plum/31st Avenue from 56 approximately four and quarter miles to Swanson’s Swales.
• From the south, go north from Hutchinson on Plum Street (31st Avenue) approximately 15 miles
Swanson’s Swales are approximately three quarters of a mile north of Avenue P. Camp Grierson is about two thirds of a mile west on Avenue P. Fry Ruts are one and a half miles west on Avenue P
For more information on this and other Quivira Chapter 2021 Santa Fe Trail events, call 620-241-8719, visit the website www.2021santefetrailkansas.com, or visit Facebook, www.facebook.com/200thSantafetrailKansas/.