By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Dog awakens sleeping man from fire
Placeholder Image

Fire destroyed a small motor home Tuesday night at 126 Kiowa Road. Great Bend Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the man sleeping in the 1997 International Eldorado was able to escape, thanks to his dog.
Firefighters were dispatched at 11:36 p.m. and the motor home was fully involved with fire when they arrived.
“The occupant of the motor home was sleeping in it at the time of the fire,” Napolitano said. “Thankfully, his dog jumped up on the bed he was sleeping in and woke him up. When he woke up he found flames around the area of his space heater.”
The man was evaluated by firefighters at the scene who said he was suffering from minor smoke inhalation, but he declined to be transported to the hospital.
The fire was caused by combustibles too close to the space heater. The motor home was a total loss. Estimated loss, including its contents, was about $8,000.