By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Home fire caused by short
Placeholder Image

Great Bend Fire Department responded to back-to-back fires on Easter morning, Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said.
An electrical short in a ceiling fixture caused a fire that damaged a trailer house at 215 Fruit St. Sunday morning. Firefighters were summoned at 4:03 a.m. and quickly extinguished the fire in the ceiling. Damage was estimated at $3,500.
“As the crews were getting back in the station from this fire, they were called to a report of a vehicle fire on an oil lease road north of Walnut Bowl,” Napolitano said. They arrived to find a two-door passenger car in flames, with no occupant in sight.
Firefighters were also dispatched to Mid America Feeders on North McKinley St. at 6:03 a.m. Monday, because several large round hay bales were burning. “We worked with the owners to remove the bales to a location where they could finish burning and not expose the rest of the stack,” Napolitano said.