LARNED — The Pawnee County Commission met at 9 a.m. March 12 for a regular meeting at the Pawnee County Courthouse. The following are approved minutes submitted by Pawnee Commission clerk Ruth Searight.
9 a.m. — Pawnee County commissioners Donna Pelton, chair, and Kathy Bowman and John C. Haas were present.
• Commissioners sorted through mail.
• They discussed the Larned/Pawnee County Airport.
• They discussed the Amended and Restated Bylaws of the PVCH Foundation Draft.
• They read and approved minutes of March 5, 2012.
• Commissioners discussed a church group of children cleaning the river bank and other areas at Camp Pawnee. Pelton relayed to the other two commissioners what Kworcc and Kcamp needed.
• Commissioners approved the County Clerk signing all hold harmless agreements and other contracts for Pawnee County, for polling sites for elections.
• Commissioners visited with officials from the Assembly of God Church via telephone regarding the event insurance and other necessary items for their River Bank Cleanup Project.
Commissioners informed them that they need to bring their own drinking water, as the water at the camp has not yet been tested for this year.
• John Settle, Pawnee County Attorney, gave updates on his trip to Topeka last week. He discussed the Draft of the Amended and Restated Bylaws of the PVCH Foundation.
• Settle mentioned that county clerk Ruth Searight had some concerns regarding the statutory duty’s of the county clerk attesting commissioner’s signatures on documents, such as the Articles of Incorporation of the Pawnee Valley Community Hospital Foundation, signed last week.
Ruth Searight, county clerk informed the commissioners that it is the statutory duty of the county clerk to attest the signatures of the county commissioners on documents. She reviewed the following with the commissioners and County Attorney:
K.S.A. 19-304; K.S.A. 19-305; K.S.A. 53-504; K.S.A. 19-302; K.S.A. 10-105; K.S.A. 19-321; County clerk’s job description compiled by the County Clerk’s Association; 20.3.2 and 20.3.3 from the 2011 Commissioners Manual; Sample form regarding County Resolutions from the Commissioners 2011 Manual; dictionary definition of the following words as relating to County Clerk’s duties, attest, certify, events, happenings, proceedings, and record,/recordings. After discussion, Commissioners requested Settle visit with the Secretary of State’s Office to see if they could replace the document that was sent.
Searight then gave the commissioners her written resignation as Freedom of Information Officer, thanking them for the opportunity to serve in that position for all the years since government entities were mandated to appoint Freedom of Information Officers.
However, due to differences in attitude, judgment, interpretation, and execution of the Kansas Open Records Act, she felt the need to resign effective this date.
10:45 a.m. — Leon Sanders, Camp Pawnee caretaker, discussed quotes for a new refrigerator, sprayer and trimmer.
After discussion, commissioners approved the following — Tablers, refrigerator $548, delivered; Doerr’s, sprayer, $275.85; and Carr Auto Electric, trimmer with bicycle, $315, to be paid from Equipment Reserve Fund.
• Commissioners discussed the group of youngsters who would be doing some cleanup at Camp Pawnee. They discussed some of the work that will be starting soon with the grant monies.
• Commissioners approved paying $50 annual dues to SCKACE.
• Commissioners signed abatement No. 2011-46 and 47.
• Commissioners sorted through mail.
1:30 p.m. — Mark Wagner, Pawnee County emergency management/zoning, gave updates on activities.
• Rod Wheaton, Pawnee County solid waste supervisor, informed the commissioners the City Wide Clean Up is scheduled April 4. Commissioners approved the Transfer Station staying open later to accommodate.
• Commissioners signed Resolution No. 2012-05, and the county clerk will see that it is published this week.
• Kurt Demel, Pawnee County highway administrator, discussed culvert quotes as follows: D.C. Wholesale, $33,821; Welborn Sales, $36,447; and J&J Drainage, $42,168. Commissioners approved a quote from D.C. Wholesale for $33,821.
• Commissioners discussed the conference scheduled for April 5.
• Settle said Kansas Secretary of State officials said they could void the document sent last week.
Commissioners and Matt Heyn signed new document for the Articles of Incorporation of Pawnee Valley Community Hospital Foundation. The one sent last week is to be voided. Settle is to see that this new document is sent today.
2:40 p.m. — The meeting was adjourned. The next meeting was scheduled March 19.
LSH escapee caught in Utah