By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Storms forecast for weekend
Events changed due to weather; Great Bend could see possible flooding

Barton County and surrounding communities could see multiple rounds of showers and thunderstorms passing through the area from Friday evening through early next week, with heavy rainfall and the possibility of flooding.

According to the National Weather Service, central and southeast Kansas will see multiple rounds of heavy rain, some possibly significant, with an increased risk of flooding.

At least two local events have been canceled or rescheduled due to weather.

A stargazing workshop with the FHSU Astronomy Club at the Kansas Wetlands Education Center will not take place as scheduled Friday night. It has been rescheduled to Oct. 19.

The Mid-America Mopars Shine & Show car show that was scheduled for Saturday at Dillons has been canceled. 


The NWS forecast for Great Bend includes a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10 a.m. Friday, with a high near 78 and a low around 48. Friday night the chance of precipitation will be 80 percent.

There is a chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday, and showers are likely and thunderstorms possible after 1 a.m. Sunday. Sunday’s chance of precipitation is 70 percent.

Chance of precipitation Monday will be 80 percent, Tuesday 70 percent.


• Many low water crossing will flood.

• Creeks and streams will overflow banks causing flooding of adjacent roads and land.

• Hydroplaning may occur with water on roads.

• Torrential rainfall will cause low visibilities while driving.

• Roads may be washed out.

• Poor drainage streets will flood quickly in heavy rain.

• Alternate routes may be needed when streets are flooded or barricaded.