The Great Bend Fire Department responded to two fires on Saturday in Barton County.
The first fire was reported at 4:21 p.m. When firefighters arrived at 42 NW 80 avenue for a structure fire, they found a small outbuilding heavily engulfed in flames. The shed was located behind the residence in the backyard and the fire was quickly knocked down.
According to GBFD reports, the owner said he was in the house watching TV when a friend saw the smoke and stopped and told him his shed was on fire.
The fire was caused by ashes from a fireplace that had been dumped next to the shed. The out building and its contents were a total loss and the owner said he had about $2,500 in contents in the building and he had no insurance on it.
The second blaze was reported at 8:58 p.m. When fire crews arrived on scene in the 100 block of NW 80 avenue for a vehicle fire, they found a pickup totally involved.
The fire had consumed the cab and engine compartment, but it was quickly extinguished.
The owner said he was driving south down the road and his engine was missing out and he tried to accelerate. He then saw a glow, stopped and found fire coming from under his vehicle.