Wish list for Stuff the Bus:
1. Office Supplies: copy paper, pens, tape, folders and binders, envelopes, notebooks (College and Wide Rule), highlighters, white-out, legal pads, staples, paper clips, label tape.
2. Items for Children: blankets, stuffed animals, crayons, markers, construction paper, glue, child scissors, glitter, acrylic paint, watercolors, poster board, stickers, infant/toddler/preschool/school aged toys and games, diapers, wipes.
3. School Supplies: new backpacks, 12-inch rulers, protractors, compasses, dry erase markers, glue (stick and bottles), notebook paper (wide and college rule) highlighters, composition notebooks (not spiral bound), pencil boxes, colored pencils, washable markers, large pink erasers, index cards (ruled or plain), pocket folders (with and without prongs).
4. Home Building Supplies: paint rollers and paint roller pans, painter tape, gardening gloves, canvas drop cloths.
5. Household Items: paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, facial tissue, laundry soap, cleaning supplies, sponges, comet, dish soap, disposable dining ware (ups, plates, napkins, silverware), disposable washcloths, disinfectant wipes.
6. Toiletry Items: brushes, combs, toothbrushes, adult diapers, travel size toiletries (soap, deodorant, cotton swabs, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc.)
7. Food items: Ensure or Boost, non-perishable snacks (drink boxes, juice packs, cracker packs, goldfish, fruit snacks), non-perishable food (canned goods, cereal, etc.), regular ground coffee, bottled water.
8. Other: Skeins of yarn, regular and baby yarn-all colors, reusable shopping bags.
United Way of Central Kansas’ annual Stuff the Bus campaign is just getting started, said UWCK Executive Director Julie Bugner-Smith.
“Before the students fill the buses, United Way aims to fill the bus with much needed items for their 23 Community Partners,” Smith said. “This is the sixth year that United Way has put on this event, and it gets bigger every year.”
What started in Great Bend has now expanded to Ellinwood, Larned, and Hoisington and is a vital part of the campaign every year, she said. “By making these donations, you help to alleviate the financial strain on these agencies so that their time, energy, and money can go to making our community stronger by providing much needed services. The Wish List changes each year to best suit the needs of every agency that United Way helps support,” she said.
It is that time of year that many of these items go on sale, so she advises folks to watch the sales ads.
“The agencies that UWCK serves rely on these contributions to stretch their already tight budgets,” Smith said.“We look forward to being out in the communities and stuffing these buses.”
This years Stuff the Bus events will be held:
• Ellinwood – For the entire month of August one can drop off your donations at Sunflower Bank during its regular business hours, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. or at the Ellinwood Community Library.
• Hoisington – from 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Aug. 15 at Town and Country Supermarket from 8:30-5:30. Items can be dropped off in advance at Clara Barton Hospital, Dairy Queen, and Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut is offering 20 percent off any one item if you bring in a donation.
• Great Bend – from 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Aug. 17 at Dillons (4107 10th St) and also at Wal-Mart (3503 10th St).
• Larned – from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 23 at Shopko.
“If your business, organization, or church would like to have a collection box and bring it by the day of your local Stuff the Bus, UWCK would be happy to bring by a box and flyers,” Smith said.
For more information about these events follow UWCK on Facebook, visituwck.org or call 620-792-2403.