By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Reed caps season at WSU by placing second at MVC meet in 400
spt cp Reed1

Based on his past, it comes as no surprise that Alex Reed overcame injuries to come through this spring in the 400-meter dash for the Wichita State University track and field team.
Reed, a sophomore, captured second place last month at the Missouri Valley Conference outdoor meet, clocking 47.94 seconds, almost a carbon-copy time of his freshman campaign.
“It felt awesome,” Reed said in a telephone interview. “Any time you can step on the stand ... only the top three get there.
“To come from third place as a freshman and step up to second place as a sophomore, that’s a big confidence booster for me for my next two years.”
Reed, a three-time Class 5A state champion and school-record holder in the 400 (48.37) at Great Bend High School (2008-11), overcame nagging hamstring and knee woes to establish his top 400 time of the season.
“It played out pretty well,” Reed said. “I was dealing with some hamstring problems and a little knee trouble. I had to go in and do some therapy for it here and there, and I just kept working.
“I started running better 400s at the end of the season. I guess I peaked at the right time, like I usually do.”
Rewind to Reed’s illustrious high school career. After suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament and partial meniscus tear in his left knee during a 5A district football game at Salina Central in 2010, he had surgery on Nov. 5 of that year and later signed an NCAA Division-I scholarship to compete for the Shockers on March 30, 2011.
Reed then put a cherry on top of his remarkable comeback by winning his third straight 400 crown, just under six months after suffering the major injury.
After a freshman campaign that saw Reed establish a personal-best 48.1 in one of his first meets of the outdoor season, he dropped his time to 47.9 at the MVC meet and placed third, narrowly missing the national-qualifying time of 47.3.
Also the school-record holder in the long jump at GBHS (23-10¼ in 2010), Reed switched to the other foot and began jumping off his right leg during his freshman year at WSU, hitting the 22-foot plateau.
Last winter, during the indoor season at WSU, Reed returned to his old form, jumping off his left leg and turning in 23-3 in his first meet back.
“That’s when I injured my hamstring,” Reed said. “I actually didn’t compete at all the rest of the indoor season.
“I medically red-shirted, so after my senior year, I have an extra indoor season.”
Reed persevered through the therapy sessions, and he was able to step it up a notch during the stretch run of the outdoor season.
His fire has been lit once again, although it’s never flickered.
“I’ll start lifting again in a few days before I get into some running,” Reed said. “We start working out again after the Fourth of July.
“The long jump is one of the first events I started out doing when I first got into track, so I want to keep at it, if I can.”