SYLVAN GROVE — World Pest Control & Sunflower Services, with its branch office in Otis, encourages public awareness of pests and reminds homeowners to pest-proof the home this spring.
“As the weather continues to warm, pests will begin to emerge from their overwintering sites and look for food indoors. To prevent an infestation, homeowners should take some time to pest-proof their home in the coming weeks,” said Shonda Meitler, co-owner at World Pest Control & Sunflower Services. “From sealing openings and removing debris around the foundation of the home to eliminating sources of moisture indoors, a few simple home maintenance projects can keep pests from causing problems this spring.”
Experts recommend the following tips to add to the spring cleaning check list:
• Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
• Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
• Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
• Store fire wood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the ground.
• Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
• Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
• Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
• Avoid leaving pet’s food dishes out for long periods of time.
“Taking preventative measures is the best defense against pests, but occasionally an unwanted critter can sneak by unnoticed,” said Meitler. “If an infestation is suspected, contact a licensed pest professional to treat the problem.”
For more information on common household pest or pest-proofing tips, visit www.worldpestonline.com.