The Hoisington Fire Department spent much of Tuesday and Wednesday extinguishing the remnants of 80 large round bales of hay at 850 NW 50 Ave.
Hoisington Fire Chief Jim Sekavec said the hay was no longer in bales Tuesday because it had been ground up that morning. He’s not sure what ignited the fire in the loose hay, but a spark from the grinding machinery could have been the culprit. Whatever the cause, by late Tuesday morning the hay, which was still stacked 12-14 feet high, was ablaze.
At one point on Tuesday the Great Bend Fire Department was called to assist by bringing more water.
The fire rekindled around 11 a.m. Wednesday. By 7 p.m. that evening the owner had the hay spread out, Sekavec said, adding there had been no sign of it reigniting as of 8:30 p.m.
The chief said he did not have an estimate on the loss, noting some of the hay may be recoverable.