Lightning struck a house Monday night at 237 SE 40 Road, following the cable TV line into the house. Great Bend Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said firefighters were dispatched to the rural home at 10:59 p.m., but there was no fire.
Sheriff Brian Bellendir said the occupant, listed on the call log as Donna Williams, was home at the time and could smell smoke. The lightning strike left the cable red hot, and made a small hole in the roof. Everyone exited safely.
At 7:26 a.m. Tuesday, Great Bend firefighters were dispatched to SW 60 Road and SW 60 Ave., where a power pole was on fire.
There were no fires over the weekend, but there was one false alarm on Saturday, caused by a malfunction, and two false alarms on Sunday. There was also a natural gas leak Sunday afternoon at 1015 Wilson St., caused by a limb falling on a meter as people were cutting trees.
GBFD made five ambulance runs last Friday, two Saturday, two Sunday and had a busy day Monday with 11.