By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bank bandit convicted of six charges
Placeholder Image

SALINA — A Saline County jury convicted Jason M. Gleason Friday of six charges he faced stemming from an October high-speed chase and shoot-out with a Kansas Highway Patrol trooper. His sentencing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Oct. 28.
Gleason, 31, of Lyons, was convicted of attempted first-degree murder for firing shots at trooper Ryan Wolting, who had chased the green Ford Explorer for about 11 miles. Gleason’s crime spree started when he robbed the First Bank of Chase in Rice County.
The vehicle chase ended about 6:30 p.m. Oct. 9, 2012, south of Gypsum.
Testimony indicated that Gleason left the passenger side of the Explorer and fired several shots. One of the shots shattered the windshield of Wolting’s patrol car, and shards of glass from the windshield caused injuries to Wolting’s face and eyes.
One of the bullets also hit the Explorer, injuring Gleason’s girlfriend, Chrystal Bell, who had been driving the vehicle, and her 12-year-old son, Darnelle Baker, who was one of three children in the Explorer’s back seat.
Gleason was convicted of two counts of reckless aggravated battery, two counts of shooting into an occupied vehicle and one count of criminal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
On the attempted murder charge, Gleason faces 12 years and three months to 54 years and five months in prison. The two aggravated battery charges carry sentences of two years and seven months to 11 years and four months. The shooting into a vehicle sentence has a range of two years and seven months to 20 years and seven months. The criminal possession charge has a sentence of seven months to one year and 11 months.
Gleason’s brothers are also in prison for convictions for murder and a drive-by shooting.  
Sidney Gleason, 34, was convicted of capital murder, first-degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated robbery and criminal possession of a firearm in 2006 in Barton County. He became the eighth person on Kansas’ death row. Sidney Gleason was convicted of murdering Miki Martinez and Darren Wornkey of Great Bend in 2004 because he was afraid Martinez was going to testify against him in a stabbing case.
Sidney Gleason was also convicted in 2000 for attempted involuntary manslaughter in Shawnee District Court.  Sidney Gleason shot his mother’s former boyfriend Mark Hall, 41, who was wounded three times.
Another brother, Justin Gleason, 32, was sentencd to 12 years in prison after he pleaded no contest in September to 23 criminal charges stemming from a Reno County drive-by shooting in February.