By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire starts behind dryer Monday morning
GBFD responds to gas leaks, unauthorized burns
Placeholder Image

Great Bend Firefighters were able to save a mobile home Monday morning after a buildup of lint ignited behind a dryer. The call to 5540 Second St. Unit F was reported at 8:35 a.m. and firefighters arrived to find light smoke throughout the house.
Battalion Chief Eugene Perkins said they got the dryer out of the house and were able to extinguish the fire fairly quickly. Damage to a cabinet and paneling was estimated at $500.
Since Friday, GBFD has responded to gas leaks and unauthorized burns in the city limits and Barton County.
At 9:33 p.m. Friday, units responded to 57 NW 40 Ave. where a natural gas well was spewing gas from a pop-off valve by a pump station close to the road. The Barton County Sheriff’s Office closed off the road to all traffic for a couple of hours. The gas company was contacted and was able to shut down the gas well.
At 12:22 p.m. Sunday there was a natural gas leak at 3413 17th St.
Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the owners were remodeling the house when they dropped a ceramic tile behind the stove, causing a rupture in the flex hose. The gas was shut off and the house was opened up to remove the gas. A monitor was used to check the explosive levels and carbon monoxide; once all levels were within normal limits the house was released back to the owners. The gas company was also contacted and assisted.
At 3:25 a.m. Sunday firefighters extinguished an unattended campfire that was smoldering at 465 SW 60 Ave., and at 8:15 a.m. an unauthorized burning of a large wood pile at 545 NW K-96 was extinguished.   
Firefighters were dispatched to 3114 17th St. at 1:36 p.m. Sunday for a person burning trash and yard debris in the back yard.
Emergency Management Director Amy Miller said Monday that Barton County remains under a burn ban due to extreme drought conditions.
“We got a little moisture today, but not enough to lift the ban,” Miller said. Each violation is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $1,000 and/or a jail sentence of up to six months.