A Great Bend home sustained heavy damage from a fire Friday evening, Fire Chief Mike Napolitano reported.
A neighbor reported smoke coming from the house at 1410 11th St. at 7:56 p.m. Firefighters responded and found heavy fire and smoke coming from the window on the west side of the house.
Napolitano said crews aggressively attacked the fire and were able to get it knocked down before it spread to the attic area.
“Everyone was out of the house at the time of the fire; however, there were dogs in the house,” Napolitano said. “Neighbors were able to get all but one dog out before units arrived. One dog was overcome by heat and smoke and did not survive. One of the neighbors that helped get the dogs out was treated and released at the scene for smoke inhalation.”
There was extensive damage to the interior of the house. The occupants were assisted by a local church and the Red Cross.
The investigation of the fire continued Monday by the Great Bend Fire Department and the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
There were also several fire calls over the weekend.
At 10:16 a.m. Saturday, units responded to a structure fire at 2907 Gano St., and found light smoke coming from the front door and vents to the crawl space. A small smoldering fire in the crawl space was quickly extinguished.
At 10:07 a.m. Sunday, units responded to a ditch fire at NW 20 Road and 80 Ave.
At 3:34 p.m. Sunday, units responded to a false alarm at 5208 Timber Creek.
At 6:13 p.m. Sunday, units responded to a report of a smell of natural gas at 606 Williams St. The area was checked and nothing was found.
At 4:01 a.m. Monday, units responded to a field fire at SW 20 Road and SW 60 Ave. The fire was actually at West Barton County Road and NW 90 Ave. Albert and Great Bend fire departments worked together to extinguish the fire.
Around 3:30 p.m. Monday, Great Bend Fire Department sent a tanker truck to assist the Albert Fire Department. Addition information on this fire was not available Monday evening.