By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hoisington mans death caused by carbon monoxide poisoning
DSC 0047
Pictured is a residence at 522 East 5th, Hoisington, which was the site of a structure fire last Wednesday. - photo by JIM MISUNAS Great Bend Tribune

HOISINGTON — A Hoisington man whose body was died in a burning home April 22 died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Hoisington Police Chief Kenton Doze said a coroner’s report indicated that LeRoy George Schartz, Jr. 62, died from the poisonous gas in the April 22 fire.
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after enough inhalation of carbon monoxide. It is often produced in domestic or industrial settings by motor vehicles that run on gasoline, diesel, methane, or other carbon-based fuels and tools, heaters, and cooking equipment that are powered by carbon-based fuels such as propane and butane.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. It is very difficult for people to detect. Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter due to insufficient oxygen supply to enable complete oxidation to carbon dioxide (CO2).
Hoisington firefighters and officers responded to a structure fire at a residence at 522 East 5th St. at 4:30 p.m. April 22. The residence appears in rundown condition obscured by overgrown trees and damaged floor boards on the porch.
Doze called the State Fire Marshal’s office and Kansas Bureau of Investigation for assistance uncovering evidence in a fatal fire because it was determined to be of a suspicious nature. Doze said two propane gas tanks were found in the house. Doze described the tanks as “bottle tanks like you would use for a cooker.”
Doze said some investigative work is still being done with people who can provide background information on Schartz, who was apparently the lone resident.
The last fire fatality in town occurred Aug. 14, 2006, according to Hoisington Fire Chief Jim Sekavec.