By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Injuries reported in rollover accidents
Placeholder Image

Barton County Sheriff’s Office responded to two rollover accidents on Saturday, and the Kansas Highway Patrol worked a rollover accident in Russell County. All three were initially reported as injury accidents.
Two people were injured at 3:17 p.m. Saturday when a 1992 Freightliner hauling hay slid into a ditch on U.S. 281, north of Great Bend.
Curtis Snider, 53, of Morrison, Colo., was northbound at mile marker 102 and lost control of the truck when a strap securing his load broke, shifting the weight and causing the vehicle to go into the east side ditch. It slid sideways, coming to rest on the driver side.
Snider and his passenger Judy Carter, 47, also of Morrison, were taken to Great Bend Regional Hospital for treatment of lacerations and head injuries. The BCSO reports the accident is still under investigation. Assisting agencies were Great Bend Emergency Medical Service and Kansas Highway Patrol.
At 10 a.m. Saturday, Zachary Becker, Great Bend, rolled a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee when he attempted to avoid an oncoming vehicle in the 300 block of NW 10 Ave. The Jeep traveled through loose gravel, causing it to go into a skid. When a wheel gouged into the ground, the vehicle rolled, coming to rest on its wheels. Becker refused transportation to a hospital. He sustained a small cut on his left arm.
KHP responded to a rollover at 5:20 p.m. on Interstate 70, 1.8 miles east of Bunker Hill. Bonnie Lou Abendschan, 60, Hutchinson, was eastbound in a 2002 Freightliner van and veered toward the south ditch, then over-corrected her steering twice. The vehicle entered the south ditch broadside, rolling one and a quarter times. It came to rest on the driver side. She was taken to Russell Regional Hospital.

The BCSO “calls for service log” also shows Daytona Stephen of Great Bend rolled a four-wheeler at 5:27 p.m. Saturday on Radium Road (SW 40 Road and SW 50 Ave.), injuring her left leg. She was transported to GBRH by Great Bend Fire Department ambulance.