By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Small fire causes minor damage to garage
new deh fire pic
Great Bend Fire Department and Police Department units respond to a water heater fire at 1111 Sherman St., late Thursday afternoon. There was minimal damage. - photo by DALE HOGG Great Bend Tribune

One might call it a lucky break.
At about 4 p.m. Thursday, the Great Bend Fire Department responded to what was reported as a water heater fire at 1111 Sherman St. The small blaze was confined to the attached garage.
Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the fire resulted after the heater’s flexible gas line had rubbed against the unit, wearing holes in it.
Gas escaped and ignited. However, the heat burned through the water supply line, and the escaping water helped suppress the flames.
Once the gas was turned off, the fire was quickly extinguished.
The water heater was in the garage and there was no harm to the rest of the house. The chief estimated the damage at $2,000.
Occupant Maria Ramirez was home at the time but was not injured.