By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Vehicles have to be tagged here if they are used here
Placeholder Image

(EDITOR’S NOTE: This is one in a series of articles about rules for tagging motor vehicles in Kansas.)

The long and short of it is this — when you move into Kansas from another state, and you bring your car or truck with you, and you plan to drive it on Kansas roads, you need to have it tagged here.
That’s the law.
However, how that law is enforced is still the object of some discussion, as was shown in Monday’s Barton County Commission meeting.
The issue was raised during “discussion items” a couple of weeks ago when a rural Barton County resident complained that a neighbor of his had vehicles that were routinely driven locally, though they have been tagged in Iowa.
The issue was turned over to county officials some time ago, and continues to be under advisement.
However it was noted Monday that the person who owns the vehicles has stated he plans to tag them in Barton County.
This is an issue because if the vehicles are driven locally they are supposed to be tagged locally. Otherwise Barton County doesn’t receive any revenue from their use.
County Treasurer Kevin Wondra explained the state requires that each county treasurer’s office tag and title all vehicles used in that county.
Generally speaking, Wondra said, people are good about renewing their tags, and they are usually good about changing them over when they move here from out of state.
Sometimes an issue comes to the treasurer’s attention and he sends a letter to the person. Often they are under the impression that they can just wait until the next time their tags are due, and then change to the Kansas tag, however that is not the rule.
In the instance that was discussed by the commission, Wondra said he sent out a letter last May, explaining the state requirements.
If such a letter is not appropriately responded to, Wondra explained, the matter is forwarded to the Barton County Sheriff’s Office for action.
“I have no statutory authority to do anything,” he said, adding that in the future he is recommending that such communications will be done with certified mail, so there is more proof about the letters being received.