By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Three arrested after search connected to overdose
Frey street search
Law enforcement secures the scene during a search of a residence at 205 Frey St. last Friday afternoon. Three individuals were arrested as a result of the search of the residence believed to be connected to a recent area drug overdose. - PHOTO COURTESY OF THE BARTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Three individuals were arrested Friday afternoon after law enforcement searched a Great Bend residence believed to be connected to a recent drug overdose in Barton County.

Barton County Sheriff Brian Bellendir reported that shortly after 3 p.m. Friday the sheriff’s office executed a search warrant at a residence located at 205 Frey St. as part of an investigation into the distribution of methamphetamine and fentanyl. At least one fentanyl overdose was reported in the county recently, and Bellendir said BCSO detectives believe this location was connected that case.

Deputies at the scene were able to secure the residence without incident. During the course of the search, detectives located a substantial amount of suspected methamphetamine and fentanyl, as well as firearms and U.S. currency.

Officers arrested three Great Bend residents at the location:

• Raul Rivera, 40, was arrested and booked on requested charges of distribution of methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia and criminal possession of a weapon. His bond is set at $100,000;

• Julio Heredia, 28, was arrested and booked on requested charges of distribution of fentanyl and criminal possession of a firearm. Bond was also set at $100,000;

• Miguel Garay, 44, was arrested for possession of methamphetamine as well as a Great Bend Municipal Court warrant. He is also being held in lieu of a $100,000 bond.

All three suspects remained incarcerated as of the end of Monday, according to Barton County Jail booking records.

The Barton County Sheriff’s Office was assisted at the scene by the Great Bend Police Department, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the Sterling Police Department.