By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
CO poisoning presents a serious threat
Placeholder Image

Now is certainly NOT the time to let down our guard as we continue to recognize Fire Prevention Month.
This week, as the Tribune continues working with the Great Bend Fire Department on drawing attention to Fire Prevention Month, we are considering “the silent killer,” and we are entering the time of year when carbon monoxide is especially dangerous, as we turn our furnaces back on.
We also begin to look for ways to heat our homes cheaper, and that can end up being expensive, indeed.
According to information from the National Fire Prevention Association, CO can present a threat when we least expect it.
“A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount
of CO over a shorter amount of time.”
And the danger is more common than we might believe.
“In 2005, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 61,100 nonfire CO incidents in which carbon monoxide was found, or an average of seven calls per hour.”
It is a serious issue and anyone who suspects CO is a problem in their home or work place should contact their fire department.
Other safety steps include: “Have fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in. When using a fireplace, open the flue for adequate ventilation. Never use your oven to heat your home.”
CO poisoning isn’t anything to mess around with, and it’s better to be safe than sorry — during Fire Prevention Month and the rest of the year as well.
— Chuck Smith