Kansas Farm Bureau along with Barton County Farm Bureau recognizes that tradition and heritage are a part of what makes agriculture an attractive way of life for Kansas residents. The history of these farms and ranches is rich, with many stories to tell. In that spirit, Kansas Farm Bureau, the state’s leading agriculture advocacy organization, and Barton County Farm Bureau honor those family farms that have maintained ownership within the same family for 100 years with at least 80 acres of the original Kansas farmland.
Farm owners who believe that they qualify for the recognition may fill out an application that is sent to Kansas Farm Bureau for verification and confirmation that the farm is eligible for the honor. It is of no cost to the landowner. In Barton County, applicants do not need to be Farm Bureau members, as the Association will pay the dues for a year’s membership.
This year Farm Bureau honored four Century Farm Families:
Mr. and Mrs. Willard M. Conner family
Willard raises dryland wheat and milo along with operating a small cattle operation on the land that was purchased from German descendants, Eliza, and James Brown on April 29th, 1892, by his great-grandfather Henry Essmiller. The original barn is still standing on the homestead and the present home that stands on the property was built in 1934.
Duane and Robert Lanterman
Carl Lanterman, the great-great-grandfather of Duane and Robert Lanterman, was a German silk weaver before coming to the United States in October 1873. Through the Homestead Act he acquired 160 acres of Barton County land, located at NE 20 Rd and NE 80 Ave. A home, which is still standing, was built on the farm the same year Mr. Lanterman took ownership. Today, Duane and Robert raise wheat, milo and soybeans on the farm which is now 320 acres.
Glenna, Steve, Terry, and Glenda Gaunt
The Gaunt Century Farm lies south of the Arkansas River and contains 334.8 acres. The farm was purchased from Irwien H. Busey and Atuinesice Busey on Jan. 18, 1898, by Noah V. Gaunt. The purchase price was $14.48 per acre. On the homestead, the first owners operated a small dairy and raised chickens. The original concrete barn built in 1909 still stands on the property. In 1962 the property was sold to Harry Gaunt. In 1989 the present owners, Terry and Steve Gaunt, purchased the property and use it to raise dryland wheat, milo, and soybeans. The Gaunts also have a small cow/calf operation.
Joseph D. and Linda Steiner
Joseph D. and Linda Steiner live in a lovely farm home located at NW/4 of Section 35, Township 17 South, Range 12 West. The home was built in 2020 on the land that Joseph’s great-grandfather, Josef Steiner, purchased from ATSF Railroad in October of 1884. The purchase price for the 160 acres was $1.13 per acre or $180.00 for the entire parcel. Josef Steiner, who came from Porstendorf, Austria, farmed the land where the original granary still stands. Today Josef’s great-grandson, Joseph D Steiner, uses the land to raise wheat, alfalfa, and cattle.