The Great Bend Tribune news and advertising departments took home 23 Kansas Press Association Awards of Excellence this year. The awards were presented Saturday at the Courtyard by Marriott in Junction City during the KPA Annual Convention.
First place awards were presented to:
• Best news story, Dale Hogg
• Best story/picture combination, Susan Thacker
• Best agricultural ad, Tammy Mason and Karma Byers
• Best community event ad, Diane Lacy-Trostle and Karma Byers
• Most adaptable promotion, Diane Lacy-Trostle, Tammy Mason and Karma Byers
• Best online ad (motion), Hugo Gonzalez, Josh Keller and Mary Hoisington
• Best special section - advertising, Hugo Gonzalez and Mary Hoisington.
Additional news writing and photography awards of second or third place went to Veronica Coons, Jim Misunas, Hogg and Thacker in the categories of Series, Agricultural Story, Education Story and Sports Photo. The staff also won second place for Best Magazine (regular or special event).
Additional advertising awards went to Daniel Kiewel, Lacy-Trostle, Mason, Byers, Gonzalez, Keller and Hoisington in categories of Best Grocery Ad, Best Professional Service Ad, Best Hardware Ad, Best Specialty Ad, Best Entertainment Ad, Best Agricultural Ad, Most Adaptable Promotion, Best Online Ad (Static) and Best Online Promotion.