Barton Community College’s 50th commencement will be held virtually this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Students and their friends and families are invited to view videos of the commencement speeches and a reading of graduate names, which will premiere at 8:30 a.m., Friday at Facebook.com/bartoncommunitycollege. Videos will also be available at bartonccc.edu/graduation/ceremony.
The event will include:
• Comments from President Dr. Carl Heilman.
• Vice President of Student Services Angie Maddy will recognize the 2020 Outstanding Graduates Joanna Lockwood and Tana Yellowwolf.
• Vice-President of Instruction Elaine Simmons will recognize the five Distinguished Instructor Award recipients, Emily Cowles of BARTonline, Melissa Stevens of the Barton County Campus, Gil Cloud of the Fort Riley Campus, Jessica Fullen of the Fort Leavenworth Campus and adjunct science instructor Darlene Sabio.
• English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) instructor Abby Howe will recognize the graduates by name.
• A 50th Anniversary Graduation address will be given by graduates of Barton’s first graduating class of 1971 Nancy (Lindholm) Sundahl and Kevin Sundahl.
• “Pomp and Circumstance” will be performed by keyboard instructor Karole Erikson and Director of Choral Activities Sara Oberle.
All commencement videos were produced by Coordinator of Video Julie Munden and Public Relations videographers Peyton Steiner and Aaron Crawford.
Graduates will have the opportunity to receive a celebration box that includes graduation regalia, diploma, and honors information if applicable.
The celebration boxes will be available in June. Students will be emailed with this information.