As I prepare to retire on Feb. 3rd, I thought I would use my column space to share some of my “favorite” days as an Extension Agent.
• Teaching Stay Strong Stay Healthy to well over 300 older adults during the past 10 years. Folks aged 60-95 have enriched my life as much as I have theirs!
• Sharing my expertise related to fermenting sauerkraut or Kimchi with others in Extension, both in Kansas, Iowa and across the country. I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the excitement in the 59 fermentation workshop participants in Barton and Ellis Counties.
• Helping Medicare eligible adults review their prescription drug plan during open enrollment for the past nine years. It is always rewarding when we find a plan that will save someone a significant amount of money.
• Kids Ag Day, always held on Wednesday after Labor Day, is the perfect chance to share with 4th graders from across the county where their food comes from.
• Sharing an Organwise presentation “Healthy from the inside out” with pre-schoolers and 1st graders. Little ones need to be introduced to what is healthy and what is not.
• Teaching “High-speed handwashing” to kids of all ages.
• Watching kids grow up in the 4-H Youth Development program. I have been around long enough that I am meeting the next generation!
• Teaching bicycle safety rules to school-agers and promoting safe bicycling to the entire community.
• Seeing the 10 fact sheets I have written in the past being published and used by Extension colleagues from around the state and shared with FCE members.
• Teaching a sewing workshop for 4-H youth – making pillowcases, back packs, pajama pants or walker bags to learn life skills.
• Collaborating with partners from across our county, through Be Well Barton County or Central Kansas Partnership. “Many hands really do make light work.”
• Developing a positive relationship with the executive board, team members, and YOU throughout my 37- year Extension career.
As you can see it was hard to narrow my favorite days down to a few. It’s been a good run!
Many of you are asking me who the next District Director will be when I retire. The Cottonwood Executive Board will be announcing the next District Director/Community Vitality Agent soon. I know you will provide them with opportunities to experience “favorite” days too.
Happy New Year from the Cottonwood District team!
Donna Krug is the Family & Consumer Science Agent with K-State Research and Extension – Cottonwood District. Contact her at 620-793-1910 or email@example.com.