GALATIA — District 81 Haig School celebrated 100 years since the opening of the one-room country school, located 2.5 miles west and 1 mile south of Galatia.
Although the school no longer exists, the spirit lives on. The reunion was held on Sept. 30 with 15 former students attending. A small replica of the school brought back memories of the one-room school which opened in 1917 and closed in 1951. At one time the teacher held class for 20 students, which included all eight grades. Once a week the music teacher, PE Tilley, came from Great Bend to give lessons.
Connie Dietz Hoss Whipkey opened the reunion with a prayer. Assisting with the reunion were Anna Marie Steiner Powell, Alberta Steiner Brack and Valeria Seidl Boxberger.