A small replica of a school bell used long ago called to order the 9th reunion of Haig School District #81 on Sept. 29 at Montana Mike’s in Great Bend. Organizing the reunion was Dorothy Dietz Johnson of Sterling, assisted by Connie Dietz Whipke and Valeria Seidl Boxberger, both of Great Bend. The first reunion was held in 1986, organized by the late Ethel Brack Lock.
The small one room country school was located 2 1/2 miles west and one mile south of Galatia. It was opened for class in 1917 and was closed in 1951. At one time the teacher held classes for 20 pupils including all eight grades. Once a week P.E. Tilley, music teacher from Great Bend, came to give music lessons.
After enjoying the buffet served by Montana Mike’s, 36 people, including 18 pupils and one teacher, spend the afternoon visiting and reminiscing.