By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
House fire reportedly started in fireplace
Placeholder Image


A house fire at 178 SE 1 Ave. in Barton County was reported by a neighbor at 8:14 p.m. Friday. Firefighters arrived to find flames showing on the south side by the fireplace of the single-story house. There was heavy smoke coming from the soffit and attic vents.

Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the cause of the fire was the fireplace and damage was estimated in excess of $20,000.

GBFD was assisted by the Barton County Sheriff’s Office. Reports show the house occupant was Yobany Salazar, son of the owner, and he escaped without injury.