Advance voting time line
• Advance voting is now available in the office of the county clerk.
• Friday, April 3: Deadline to apply for advanced ballots to be mailed.
• Monday, April 6 (noon): Deadline for voters to vote advanced ballots in person in the County Clerk’s Office, on the second floor of the Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main in Great Bend.
• Tuesday, April 7: Deadline for sick/disabled/illiterate voters to apply for an advanced voting ballot.
• Tuesday, April 7 (before 7 p.m.): Advanced ballots must be returned to the County Clerk’s Office.
Barton County voters can now apply for advanced ballots for the April 7 city/school/hospital general election, said Donna Zimmerman, Barton county clerk and election officer.
Also, residents can cast advance votes in Zimmerman’s office, on the second floor of the Barton County Courthouse at 1400 Main in Great Bend, until noon Monday, April 6. No voting is done in the office on election day. That’s when balloting will take place the various polling stations from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
As for advance ballots, any registered voter may contact Zimmerman’s office either by mail, by phone or in person for an application. However, she said anyone requesting an advanced ballot must provide photo identification.
A registered voter no longer has to be “sick or disabled” or “out of the county” on the day of the Election in order to vote in advance of the election.
Applications may also be downloaded from the County Clerk’s web site at bartoncounty.org/clerk/advvote.htm. Signed applications may be delivered or mailed to the office, or faxed to 620-793-1990.
Upon receipt of a completed and signed application, Zimmerman’s office will provide the voter with their ballot. But, she stressed, an elector cannot apply for a ballot for another voter.
An application for an advanced ballot for someone who is sick/disabled/illiterate may be filed during the regular advanced ballot application period until the close of polls on the day of the election. Affidavits of Assistance forms are available to assist another elector in the application and voting processes.
All advanced ballots must be delivered to the County Election Officer before the polls close, Zimmerman said. Ballots will not be counted until Election Day.