By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Countys bills take up tax dollars
Placeholder Image

Although the Barton County 2012 budget did not include an increase in the property tax mill levy, due to an increase in the county valuation — the amount that taxable property is worth — it will bring in more money next year.
The budget that was approved keeps the mill levy at 32.099 mills.
County Administrator Richard Boeckman noted the extra funding that will be generated is important, because the county is responsible for a lot of services that are used by other taxing entities, which do not have to fund them.
Boeckman commented about the county’s costs during Monday’s budget hearing:
“Barton County provides a considerable array of services that benefit the taxpayers of the County and assist other local governing bodies. 
“The county maintains 389.5 miles of paved roads and over 1,200 bridges. 
“The county provides law enforcement and maintains the jail and the 911 Center. 
“The county operates a health department. 
“The county operates and maintains the landfill and two memorial parks. 
“The county provides all the courthouse services, supports the District Court and supervises adult and juvenile offenders. 
“Many of these services are provided through the General Fund,” the county administrator explained.
Boeckman explained earlier that, due to the increase of 7.7 percent in the valuation, the county will see a revenue increase of about $597,000.
Boeckman also noted that the majority of funding in the budget does not come from property taxes. “Mill levy revenues are expected to comprise approximately 46 percent of the total county budget. The remaining 54 percent of the budget expenditures are financed by the various other revenue sources and anticipated cash carry forward from 2011.”