Donna Zimmerman, Barton County Election Officer, has announced the following elective positions are available for the April 2 general election. Council positions are available for the cities of Great Bend, Hoisington, Ellinwood, Claflin, Albert, Galatia, Olmitz, Pawnee Rock and Susank. School board spots will be available for Great Bend, Hoisington and Ellinwood. Spots for the Barton County Board of Trustees and Ellinwood Hospital District Board are also available.
Any registered voter residing in the elective districts may file for election on or before the filing deadline of noon Tuesday, Jan. 22.
School District and Ellinwood Hospital District candidates file at the Barton County Clerk’s Office, Room 202, 1400 Main, Great Bend.
Great Bend and Hoisington (Cities of the 2nd class) file with their City Clerk’s Offices. All other Cities (Cities of the 3rd class) file with either the Barton County Clerk’s Office or their respective City Clerk’s Offices.
If the number of candidates filing for office necessitates a primary election, the primary election will be held on Feb. 26, 2013.
On April 2, 2013, there will be a General Election to elect the following:
• City of Great Bend – Mayor and 1 council from each ward.
• City of Hoisington – Mayor and 1 council from each ward.
• City of Ellinwood – Mayor and 2 council positions.
• City of Claflin – 3 councilmember positions.
• City of Albert – Mayor and 5 council positions.
• City of Galatia – Mayor and 5 council positions.
• City of Olmitz – 3 councilmember positions.
• City of Pawnee Rock – Mayor and 3 council positions.
• City of Susank – Mayor and 5 council positions.
• Great Bend Unified School District 428 — Three positions at-large.
• Hoisington Unified School District 431 — Positions 2, 4, 5, 6.
• Ellinwood Unified School District 355 — Three positions at-large.
• Barton Community College — Three Board of Trustees positions at-large.
• Ellinwood Hospital District — Two Board of Trustees positions at-large.
Any questions concerning the election or candidate qualifications may be directed to the County Clerk’s Office @ 620-793-1835.