After a one-year hiatus, the once annual Gardens Galore garden tour will return Sunday, June 2. Only now, it is a project of the Great Bend Chamber of Commerce Beautification Committee. It had been sponsored by the local Soroptimist International, but it has since disbanded.
“We thought this would be a good opportunity for a fundraiser,” said Mary Kummer, a committee member in charge of publicity. The annual event had been successful in the past, helping to fund major project throughout the city.
Tourists will find a variety of ideas and innovations in this year’s spectacular gardens.
Tickets are $8. They are available in advance at Northview Nursery, 172 U.S. 281 north of Great Bend, or at any garden locations the day of the tour.
All proceeds go to the committee, Kummer said. In the past, the committee has planted flowers in planters along Main Street, in front of the City Building and at other locations.
Their next major project is to make landscaping improvements at the Great Bend Post Office.
The garden stops include:
• The Crystal Dawn Memorial Rosary Garden – behind St. Rose Catholic Church, 1424 Baker
• The Gallery flower post by Loretta Miller – 2021 Forest, in front and in back of the retail store
• Dominican Sisters Gardens and Shrines – enter from 16th and Lincoln or 17th and Polk
• Mitch and Karla Markovich – 2908 Broadway
• Chuck and Reva Vsetecka– 3408 22nd St.
• Howard and Jane Meier – 1212 McKinley