By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Second man hurt in wreck remains in Phoenix hospital
Placeholder Image

The two Great Bend men injured in the pedicab accident in Scottsdale, Ariz., following the Fiesta Bowl still face a long recovery, but one of the 21 year olds has returned to Great Bend.
In the early in the morning hours of  Jan. 4, Michael Tysver and Cody Clark were severely injured when the pedicab they were riding in was rear-ended by a motorist. Tysver is back, but Clark remains hospitalized in serious condition with head trauma at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix.
Joseph Spano, the 27-year-old who hit the cab has been charged and indicted on two counts of aggravated assault, class three felonies, and three counts of endangerment, class six felonies. Driving under the influence charges are also pending.
He remains in the Maricopa County jail on a $7,500 bond. He was arraigned Monday and plead not guilty, said Jerry Cobb, Maricopa County Attorney’s Office spokesperson. His next court appearance is a pre-trial conference March 6.
While the legal mess plays out in Arizona, a fundraiser to benefit Tysver and Clark will take place at Lumpy’s Bar and Grill Friday, said waitress Sarah Panning. Long-time friends of both Tysver and Clark, Panning and Jerika Cameron will donate their tips they collect that day to the families.
“We thought it would be a fun way to give what we could to help out in any way possible,” Panning said. “Also, as an extra kick, our boss Jerry Damm is matching whatever we make.”
Hours are 4:30 p.m. to midnight and the grill is open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Reservations will be taken.
Lumpy’s is located at 2017 Forest in Great Bend. It can be reached at 620-793-6420.
According to Panning, Tysver is back home with Joe and Jessie Andrasek. They did some remodeling of their house to accommodate to his needs.
Currently Tysver is at a standstill until his broken right leg is healed, Panning said. Then he will be able to continue physical therapy.
“Many neuro-surgeon and orthopedic surgeon appointments are ahead of him,” she said. “He has to remain in a neck brace but is very mobile and independent for what he has gone through.”
Tysver spent time in Wichita before returning.
There is an account set up at Credit Union under the Mike Tysver Expense Fund.
As for Clark, this Friday makes four weeks in the intensive care unit, family members said. Clark showed some progression forward although it has been slow.
His eyes are opening (not tracking but open) and  he has moved his arms and legs since day three or four. In the last couple of days, Clark took a small step back with some cranial fluid build-up. His doctor  installed a small drain tube to relieve the pressure.
They have been monitoring a low grade fever and have been checking the cranial fluid for infection, but none has been found.
The swelling has decreased greatly in the last 24 hours. He has again been very active because they have decreased his medication. Family members said he looks very comfortable.
They are still waiting on Clark to respond to their commands. He does open his eyes, but you can tell he is still trying to focus.
The family wants everyone to know they are thankful for the support of their community and friends.  
There are funds established at Landmark National Bank and Credit Union of America in Great Bend to help Clark and his family.