Barton County taxpayers must pay the second half of their property taxes by Monday, May 12. Their options are:
• Pay in person at the Treasurer’s Office, room 208 at the Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main in Great Bend, by 4:45 p.m.
• Mail payments to the office. These must be postmarked by May 12.
• Online, but only current taxes can be paid this way, not delinquent ones.
Traditionally, the second half of real estate, personal, and oil and gas property taxes are due by May 10. However since the 10th falls on a Saturday this year, Barton County residents have until 4:45 p.m. Monday, May the 12 to make payments.
But, said Barton County Treasurer Kevin Wondra, folks won’t be receiving a reminder about the fast-approaching deadline in their mailboxes. “We are switching to other means.”
Finding themselves in a time crunch and having to watch spending, Barton, like several counties across the state, has dropped the mailed notices to “save time and save some money.” Instead, they are reaching out to newspapers, social media and other sources to spread the word.
“This is something new,” Wondra said. This is the first year his office has done this and they will assess its success after the tax deadline passes.
Sending the reminders was not a requirement, Wondra said. It was done purely as a courtesy.
Tax payers can come to the Treasurer’s Office, room 208 at the Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main in Great Bend, and pay in person. Residents can also mail their payments, but they must be postmarked by May 12.
There is a third option – pay online with a credit or debit card via the State of Kansas’ KanAccess system. But, Wondra said only current taxes can be paid here, not delinquent ones.
The online service is accessible through a link on the treasurer’s website: the treasurer’s link under the departments tab at bartoncounty.org.
If using this method, one will need:
• A property tax statement from a participating county.
• A form of payment (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or e-check).
• A KanAccess user name and password (which one can get by signing up on the site).
This deadline follows the first-half deadline which comes on Dec. 20.