Great Bend Fire Department handled more than two dozen fire calls on the Fourth of July.
“Most of the fires were grass, brush or trees,” Chief Mike Napolitano said. “Some of the grass fires were already extinguished when the guys got there and all they had to do was take care of hot spots.” Firefighters were also standing by for the community fireworks display at the Expo. There were three small fires during the display.
However, a couple of fires damaged fences.
At 11 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to 6006 Rosewood Dr., after fireworks landed on the roof of the house. There was no fire.
Fires were reported at the following times and locations:
Grass fire, 12:24 p.m., 1114 Sherman St.
Smoke detector activation due to malfunction, 1:04 p.m., 817 Williams St.
Grass fire, 1:25 p.m., Aspen Dr.
Bush/grass fire, 1:26 p.m., 18th St.
Grass fire, 2:09 p.m., 742 West Barton County Road
Grass fire, 2:19 p.m., 10 Road
Grass fire, 3:21 p.m., 273 North Washington Ave.
Woods or wildland fire, 3:45 p.m., 3900 block of Second St.
Grass fire, 5:08 p.m., 134 NE 10th Ave.
Building fire, 6:36 p.m., 2723 19th St.
Outside trash or rubbish fire, 6:42 p.m., 4612 Railroad Ave.
Grass fire, 7:22 p.m., 2509 Fifth St.
Grass fire, 8:01 p.m., NW 20 Road
Grass fire, 8:05 p.m., 9810 B-29 Way
Grass fire, 8:23 p.m., 311 NE 20 Ave.
Grass fire, 8:27 p.m., 18th St.
Grass fire, 8:50 p.m., 288 SW Second Road #A
False alarm, 9:54 p.m., 800 block of Madison St.
Grass fire, 10:10 p.m., 12th St.
Campfire, 10:58 p.m., B-29 Way
Brush/grass fire, 11:11 p.m., 2900 block of 29th St.
Brush/grass fire, 11:53 p.m., 2508 12th St.
Trash container fire, 12:48 a.m., 5935 16th St. Terrace
At 7:46 p.m. on Wednesday, firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire at 1018 Jefferson St. They arrived to find curtains and blinds in a bedroom had burned but the fire had been extinguished by two adults in the home. The cause of the fire was children playing with a lighter.
A vehicle fire was reported at 6:35 a.m. Friday, at 1201.
Fire Department Ambulance also had 11 calls on Wednesday and three on Thursday.
Claflin Fire Department extinguished a