By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Two Great Bend men seriously hurt in Scottsdale accident
new  deh scottsdale accident michael tysver pic
Michael Tysver

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. —  Two Great Bend men in Scottsdale, Ariz., for the Fiesta Bowl were seriously injured early Friday morning when the pedicab they were riding in was struck by a car, the Scottsdale police department reported.
Injured were Cody A. Clark and Michael D. Tysver, both 21. As of Friday afternoon, Clark was listed in very serious condition with severe head trauma and Tysver was in stable condition with a spine injury, both at a local hospital.
The pedicab driver, Saipaia J. Tavake, 19, of Tempe, Ariz., was not seriously hurt, and was treated and released from the hospital. The driver of the 2012 Ford sedan that struck the cab was identified as Joseph Spano, 27, of Phoenix, and he was not injured.
According to a news release prepared by SPD Sgt. Mark Clark, at just after 3 a.m. Friday, police responded to a serious collision between a pedicab and a car on Scottsdale Road north of MacDonald Drive. Officers discovered that two passengers of the pedicab had been hurt in the crash. 
Spano was traveling north on Scottsdale Road in the medial lane and rear-ended the pedicab, also traveling north in the median lane. The pedicab driver was in the median lane to make a left turn and said he did not see the car approaching from behind, and had no time to react prior to the collision.
Police investigating the collision observed signs of impairment on Spano, which lead to his arrest for driving under the influence, endangerment and aggravated assault. He is in custody and was awaiting arraignment.
The pedicab driver reported to police that he had picked up the passengers at a downtown Scottsdale bar and was taking them to their nearby hotel. Friends of the passengers told police that the two were in town for the Kansas State University/Oregon State football game. 
The accident forced the closure of a stretch of the street for several hours. It reopened around 7:30 a.m.
At this point, police have found no mechanical or safety violations on the pedicab. The investigation is still on-going.