The First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) recently celebrated its building debt retirement with a Mortgage Burning held on Nov. 21, with its Annual Thanksgiving Dinner that followed.
The previous church building was located at 2200 Broadway since 1925. After a prayerful and careful study, the church voted to build at its present location at 5230 Broadway. Building began in late 1997 and the church moved to its present location on the third Sunday of 1999. The building debt was retired several weeks before the mortgage burning. The entire church joined in, placing bits of the mortgage into the flames then celebrated with its annual Thanksgiving dinner.