By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Floor furnace starts fire
Placeholder Image

The Great Bend Fire Department sent trucks to 1434 17th St. at 8:05 p.m. Monday for a possible structure fire.
When firefighters arrived they found light smoke showing from the front door of the house, and all occupants were safely outside. There was burnt fabric and a magazine smoldering on top of the floor furnace grate.
Chief Mike Napolitano said the fire started when a mattress box springs was accidentally knocked onto the floor furnace and caught fire. The occupants extinguished the fire with water and then moved the box springs outside. The fire was confined to the area of the floor furnace, with light smoke through the house.